Friday, December 02, 2005

On vegetable peelers.

The other day I was reading my free trial issue of Cook's Country Magazine. In their article about cooking broccoli, they mention that in order to peel the stems of broccoli, don't even try using a vegetable peeler. Stick to a knife since most peelers aren't sharp enough for the job. Definitely not the case with my Messermeister vegetable peeler.

In case you don't know me, I like the idea of keeping a minimal kitchen (which unfortunately has not been the case as of late). So, for years I thought that the vegetable peeler fell into the category of unnecessary items. For the occasional times I needed to peel a carrot, I just pulled out my paring knife and took to it. However, at some point I decided that I was ready to invite the peeler into my family of kitchen utensils. I was walking around the Williams-Sonoma in Chicago with my ex-roommate and almost bought the Oxo peeler. However, R pointed me to the messermeister instead. It instantly caught my eye as the blades were actually serrated. Seemed like a very intelligent idea for peeling soft items like tomatoes. On top of that, it peels through thick stalks with ease. Unlike most of my other purchases, I rather impulsively went with the Messermeister without my typical lengthy investigation, but it's definitely a choice I'd make again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home